Here are some of the Ski Resort Travel Destinations, Activities and Events from around the world which will be celebrating Saturday December 31st, New Year's Eve 2016 mountain style.
New Year's Celebrations at Ski Resorts in North America
If you are going to welcome in the New Year in the middle of winter,
why not do it in style at a ski resort in the mountains with torch parades and fireworks.
Most of the larger resorts have events for the family and kids, couples only and singles and some even have teen events.
Here are some of our suggestions:
New Year's Eve Events at Canadian Ski Resorts:
- Whistler Blackcomb BC Canada: Crowds assemble at the The Arts Center (formally Millenium Place) for street performers, arts and crafts, story telling, live music, face painting and more for the whole family.
This event will have an early "Kids Countdown" (3-12 yrs old). (ticketed event)
Teens (13 to 17) will want to go to the dance party 6:00pm-11:00am indoors at the Whistler Conference Center. (ticketed event)
The open and free Fireworks with a "Fire and Ice" show will take place at the base of Whistler Mountain at the Skiers Plaza. This is an alchohol free event for all ages with a show of skiers and boarders jumping through rings of fire.
This event includes the obligatory countdown to midnight and a fireworks show.
Whistler Blackcomb is the overwhelming favorite Ski Resort to bring in the new year in North America. Public transit will be running (and free) from 6pm to 4am.
For more information on Whistler/Blackcomb, check out our MountainYahoos.com Whistler Blackcomb resort review.
Whistler nightclubs: most are located underground at Whistler Village.
- Mont Tremblant: The holiday period (Dec 9 2016 - Dec 31 2016) features mascot characters, a family of elves, dance with song, musical entertainment with acrobatics in the Village.
December 24th hosts special guest, Santa Clause and a parade which winds its way to Place Saint-Bernard.
On NYE there is a torch-lit run down the mountain (South side at 8:30pm) followed by a snow show all viewable from the base of the mountain (8:30pm-9:00pm).
Music (DJ) and dancing (at "Place Saint-Bernard") begin at 9:00pm and is advertised as the "the nicest outdoor nightclub you have ever seen".
A countdown at 11:59 and fireworks display (base of mountain - South side) at the stroke of midnight complete the night. Tremblant NYE show
- Blue Mountain: This resort North of Toronto will be the host of dinner and New Year's party celebrations (at Blue Mountain Inn).
Check out the Ice Hotel for a night of dancing. (tickets required)
See the Blue Mountain Family Carnival Celebration (buffet dinner and live entertainment with a kids NYE and fireworks show at 9:30pm over the Mill Pond) or the
Blue Mountain Ice Hotel to dance party (bar and dance at the Blue Mountain Inn).
For more information about Blue Mountain, visit our MountainYahoos.com Blue Mountain ski resort review.
Note that Whistler and Tremblant are very social party resorts to begin with and New Years is among the finest ski resort celebrations anywhere.
Top New Year's Eve Events and Destinations at Ski Resorts in the USA:
- Heavenly Valley South Lake Tahoe CA: It's not the ski resort but the nearby town of South Lake Tahoe that brings New Year's Eve to life as the Casinos rock all night long. Tahoe is a top pick for those who want to put the emphasis on a great party and fantastic skiing all around.
The street in front of Harrah's will be blocked off for a huge street party with 40,000 of your closest friends. Note it is a younger crowd than Vegas (20's and 30's rather than 40's and 50's).
You can also celebrate indoors at Vex.
See: Peek Nightclub - reservations 1-775-586-6705
MontBleu Resort Casino & Spa, Stateline, NV celebration at Blu Nightclub, Opal Ultra Lounge and the Convention Center (888) 829-7630.
For VIP Table and Bottle Service call 775-586-2000
Nothing is cheap so bring lots of coin.
For more information about Heavenly, visit our MountainYahoos.com Heavenly ski resort review.
South Lake Tahoe NYE celebration in the street just in front of Harrah's:
This is considered "out of bounds" and thus frowned upon by the local patrol.
- Squaw Valley CA: Squaw is preparing for a New Year's Eve fireworks at 9:30pm (viewable from the base area) and party at the Olympic House.
See the MountainYahoos.com Squaw Valley Resort review for more information about Squaw Valley.
- Kirkwood CA: Fireworks and torchlight parade. Participants in the torchlight parade will go up Chair 6 and down Zack's with road flares. Fireworks follow the parade.
Kirkwood is also accessible by bus from the South Lake Tahoe casinos.
South Lake Tahoe's SnowGlobe Music Festival - 3 days including NYE. This is a young high energy event.
(outdoors at the Lake Tahoe Community College Campus)
- Mammoth Mountain: [NYE at Canyon Lodge] (California): Full range of activities from free public concerts to VIP packages. If you wait till the day of New Year's Eve to buy tickets, it will be more expensive.
See the MountainYahoos.com
Mammoth Mountain resort review
for more information about Mammoth Mountain.
- Canyon Lodge "Wildest Party of Winter": Two floors, three stages. A plethora of DJs and dancing. Tables and bottle service for the VIP crowd. Doors open at 9:00pm.
Pro Tip: The beer table never has a line. Wine and mixed drinks will take forever.
- Eagle Lodge: DJ only (half the price of the Canyon Lodge party)
- Mammoth Village: Kid's Kickoff 6:30-9:30pm. Fireworks at 9:00pm
Fireworks and live music at the village
The massive New Years party at Mammoth Mountain's Canyon Lodge
- Big Bear Lakes CA: Snow Summit will lead the festivities with a torchlight parade around 7:00pm. The various bars and restaurants will host NYE celebrations including Nottinhams (with live music) and Wyatt's Cafe and Saloon.
Bear Mountain will also be hosting a New Year's party (21 and older).
See the MountainYahoos.com San Bernardino Ski Resorts review (Bear Mountain, Snow Summit and Snow Valley) for more information on Big Bear Lake area resorts.
- Alyeska AK: Torchlight parade followed by fireworks.
Celebrations at Sitzmark with the ska band Nervis Rex.
See the MountainYahoos.com Alyeska Resort review for more information about Alyeska resort.
- Vail Colorado: Vail features an annual "Torchlight Ski-down" parade down "Golden Peak", a street party, music and a New Year's Eve fireworks "Extravaganza".
Many of Vail's fine restaurants host New Year's festivities.
Hang out at the sports bars for bowl games the next day.
See the MountainYahoos.com Vail Resort review for more information about Vail.
Vail's sister resort, Beaver Creek, will also host a New Year's celebration with an afternoon of carolers, ice sculptures and ice skating.
- Aspen / Snowmass CO: Make reservations early for the New Year's Gala at the Silvertree Hotel. Includes hors d'oeuvres, dinner buffet and dancing. Contact (970)923-8220
- Telluride CO: The action begins at 5:30 New Year's Eve with a children's torchlight parade down "Meadows Trail" down to the bottom of lift #1.
Kids interested in participating should meet at the Ski School Lobby at 5:00 and pick up a glow stick. Participation is free.
This is followed by a torchlight parade on both sides of the mountain followed again by fireworks.
A celebration gathering will be hosted at the Telluride courthouse on Main Street. The clock tower will ring in the New Year.
An all ages show with live music will be hosted at the Telluride convention center. See TicketWeb for tickets and information.
- Breckenridge CO: A dazzling, luminary, Torchlight Parade (6:00pm) from the top of "Peak 9" followed by fireworks, is in store at Breckenridge.
See the MountainYahoos.com Breckenridge Resort review for more information about Breckenridge.
- Beaver Creek CO: New Year's Fireworks and Torchlight Ski-down from the top of "Buckaroo Express" gondola.
Parents and kids who want to participate should pick-up their glow stick and register beginning at 6:00pm. Fireworks at 6:45pm NYE Celebration
- December calendar.
New Year's Eve Family Carnival: Purchase tickets at the Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Concierge Desk or call 1-970-827-6561
See the MountainYahoos.com Beaver Creek ski resort review.
- Keystone CO: Celebration includes a Torchlight parade on Dercum Mountain and a fireworks show in Lakeside village (at 6:30pm).
For more information about this New Year's celebration, visit Events Calendar: NYE details
The big party is at Warren Station in River Run Village with the "Trout Steak revival and Gipsy Moon" band [tickets]. Doors open at 9:00pm.
For more information about Keystone, visit our MountainYahoos.com Keystone ski resort review.
- Steamboat Springs Colorado: Torchlight Parade (5:20pm), Fireworks and a NYE party:
The fancy celebration takes place at the Champagne Powder Room and includes dinner and a sleigh ride. See the Korbel NYE party.
For more information about Steamboat, visit our MountainYahoos.com Steamboat Springs ski resort review.
- Glenwood Springs CO: Located between Aspen and Vail, Glenwood Springs is the world's largest hot springs pool. Call 1-800-537-7946 for reservations or for more information. Hwy 70 exit 116 at Hwy 401 North River Road.
Eastern US resorts listing New Year's Eve celebrations:
- Killington Vermont: Party at the Killington Grand Hotel, the Pickle Barrel or at my favorite the Wobbly Barn.
The Killington Grand Hotel will host the New Year's Eve events in the Oscar Wilde Ballroom at 7 p.m. with cocktails, followed by dinner and live entertainment.
The Wobbly Barn will have dinner followed by live entertainment.
See the MountainYahoos.com Killington Resort review for more information about Killington.
- Jay Peak (Vermont): Live music and Fireworks at 9:00pm on the mountain side of Hotel Jay and Tram Haus lodge.
The party is at the Foeger Ballroom.
Jay Peak NYE information
- Bristol Mountain (New York): Fireworks, night skiing and torchlight parade.
Bristol Mountain website
- Okemo (Vermont): For a full NYE package check out the Roundhouse Dance Party. For party reservations call (802) 228-1600
Also see the Okemo Family New Year's Eve party (family hrs 5-9pm) at Jackson Gore. New Year's celebrated at 9:00pm (for the kids).
- Snowshoe Mountain Resort (West Virginia): Adult, Teen and family NYE parties. Free block party in the Village. For party reservations call 877-441-4FUN
- Stratton (Vermont): No NYE events scheduled for 2016.
[See Stratton Events].
For more information about Stratton, visit our MountainYahoos.com Stratton ski resort review.
- Sugar Mountain Resort (North Carolina) Fireworks, torchlight parade at 11:45 followed by fireworks at midnight. Reservations for indoor celebrations call 828-898-4521 x261
The adult party will be at Last Run Lounge
- Sugarbush: Sugar Mountain New Years Eve Torchlight Parade and Fireworks at midnight on Lincoln Peak Village. Events start at 6:00pm. Fireworks and Torchlight parade at 7:00pm. Party at the Castlerock Pub (No cover - not a misprint) or Timbers Restaurant (requires reservations).
- Sugarloaf (Maine): Check out the Widowmaker Lounge for NYE. Event starts at 7:30pm. Fireworks start at 9:15pm. The family NYE celebrations can be found in the King Pine room (Galumpha).
See: Sugarloaf events calendar
- Boyne Mountain (Michigan): Family events begin at 5:00pm. A NYE Teen Dance Party starts at 10:00pm and includes a DJ, Pizza and pop.
NYE dinner party at Stein Eriksen's restaurant.
The adult NYE parties are at the Civic Center where there is no admission fee but there is a cash bar, and at the Snowflake Lounge ($10.00 cover)..
Boyne Mountain New Years information
New Year's Eve Celebrations in Europe
- St. Moritz: This Swiss Alps resort is favored by the wealthy even for New Year's.
The biggest party in St. Moritz is the ball at the Badrutt's Palace. Admission includes dinner and parties till 6:00 am.
See BadruttsPalace.com for more info.
- Chamonix France: There will be a music festival for New Year's Eve 2008 featuring at least eight bands. This starts at 8:00pm at Le Podium in Chamonix-Mont-Blanc.
The Chamonix town center overlooking the Place Balmat will be the most popular place to celebrate the New Year's countdown.
The Grand Hotel du Montenvers overlooking the Mer de Glace is hosting its fourth annual New Year's dinner and celebration.
[Compagnie du Mont-Blanc: Montenvers Mer de Glace]
The Le Vert Hotel will be handing out bottles of Champagne to all guests and will be hosting a New Year's celebration.
- Don't wait till New Years Eve to buy tickets. There is usually a discount if you buy early. Many events sell out and have limited capacity in which case it is essential to purchase tickets for New Years Eve events in advance.
- Few people get to the slopes early on New Year's day due to the hangover from the night before.
If you are likely to get a powder day on New Years day, you may get the mountain to yourself all morning. Plan accordingly.