Here are some of the top Ski Resort Travel Destinations, Activities and Events from around the world which will be celebrating Tuesday December 31st, New Year's Eve (NYE) 2019 mountain style.
Best New Year's Celebrations at Ski Resorts in North America
If you are going to welcome in 2020 in the middle of winter,
why not do it in style at a ski resort in the mountains with torch parades and fireworks.
Most of the larger resorts have events for the family and kids, couples only and singles and some even have teen events.
Here are some of our suggestions:
New Year's Eve Celebrations and Destinations at Canadian Ski Resorts:
- Whistler Blackcomb BC Canada: The Family Apres outdoor fun activities begin at noon and go till 5:00 pm at the Whistler Olympic Plaza.
If one prefers an indoor venue, try the "Whistler Holiday Experience" at the Whistler Conference Center from noon till 7:00 pm.
If celebrating early, head on over to the Skiers Plaza for the "High-Flying Snow Show" with a fireworks show at 8:00 pm.
The "Fire and Ice" show will take place at the base of Whistler Mountain at the Skiers Plaza.
This is an alcohol free event for all ages with a show of skiers and boarders jumping through rings of fire.
This event includes the obligatory countdown to midnight and a fireworks show.
Whistler Blackcomb is the overwhelming favorite Ski Resort to bring in the new year in North America. Public transit will be running (and free) from 6pm to 4am.
For more information on Whistler/Blackcomb, check out our MountainYahoos.com Whistler Blackcomb resort review.
Whistler nightclubs: most are located underground in the basement at Whistler Village.
- Mont Tremblant: The holiday period (Dec 25 2019 - Jan 3 2020) Apres Ski features mascot Toufou, ice sculptures, bubble blowing (Dec 26, 29 and Jan 1), dancing and street entertainment in the Village.
See the Holiday Apres Ski events.
December 24th hosts special guest, Santa Claus (2:00 pm till 6:00pm) and a parade which winds its way from Place des Voyageurs to Place Saint-Bernard (mountain base).
See the Santa Claus is coming event.
The "Fluo" NYE party will have participants celebrate with fluorescent clothing and accessories.
There will be a torch-lit parade down the mountain (South side at 8:30pm) followed by a snow show all view-able from the base of the mountain (8:30pm-9:00pm).
Music (DJ) and dancing (at "Place Saint-Bernard") 8:00 till 9:00pm and is advertised as the "the nicest outdoor nightclub you have ever seen".
A countdown at 11:59 and fireworks display (base of mountain - South side) at the stroke of midnight complete the night. Tremblant NYE show
- Blue Mountain: This resort North of Toronto will be the host of three New Year's party celebrations:
For more information about Blue Mountain, visit our MountainYahoos.com Blue Mountain ski resort review.
- "Family Celebration" buffet dinner, magicians, tricks, balloon animals, live DJ from 5:00 pm till 9:30 pm at the Village Conference Centre, 242 Jozo Weider Blvd. Fireworks at 9:30 pm
- "New Year's dinner at the pottery restaurant" and celebration for families (starts at 5:00pm and goes till 11:00 pm at 108 Jozo Weider Blvd)
- "New Year's Eve at Jozo's bar" for dancing, live entertainment and a champagne toast at midnight. For tickets call 1-705-443-5508.
Note that Whistler and Tremblant are very strong social party resorts to begin with and their New Year's Eve festivities are among the finest ski resort celebrations anywhere.
Top New Year's Eve Celebrations and Destinations at Ski Resorts in the USA:
- Heavenly Valley South Lake Tahoe CA: It's not the ski resort but the nearby town of South Lake Tahoe that brings New Year's Eve to life as the Casinos rock all night long. Tahoe is a top pick for those who want to put the emphasis on a great party and fantastic skiing all around.
The street in front of Harrah's will be blocked off for a huge street party with 40,000 of your closest friends. Note it is a younger crowd than Vegas (20's and 30's rather than 40's and 50's).
You can also celebrate indoors at Vex.
See: Peek Nightclub - reservations 1-775-586-6705
MontBleu Resort Casino & Spa, Stateline, NV
NYE "How HipHop Stole Christmas" ugly sweater party in the Blu Nightclub (9pm till dawn), party - requires reservations
Nothing is cheap so bring lots of coin.
For more information about Heavenly, visit our MountainYahoos.com Heavenly ski resort review.
South Lake Tahoe NYE celebration in the street just in front of Harrah's:
- Squaw Valley CA: Squaw is preparing for a NYE family celebration with a glow stick carnival, kids activities and a DJ (2:00-9:00pm) and ball drop at 9:00 pm at the Funitel Plaza.
There will be a torchlight parade at 5:00pm at the base of the Exhibition lift followed by fireworks at 7:00 pm at KT Deck.
The adult party will be a concert held at the Olympic Village Lodge 9:00 pm till 1:00 am complete with countdown and ball drop. See Rock-N-OVL New Year's Eve Concert.
See the MountainYahoos.com Squaw Valley Resort review for more information about Squaw Valley.
- Kirkwood CA: Fireworks and torchlight parade. Participants in the torchlight parade will go up Chair 6 and down Zack's with road flares. Fireworks follow the parade.
Kirkwood is also accessible by bus from the South Lake Tahoe casinos.
See the Kirkwood event notice for Torchlight Parade, Bonfire & Fireworks Show
South Lake Tahoe's SnowGlobe Music Festival - 3 days including NYE. This is a young high energy event.
(outdoors at the Lake Tahoe Community College Campus)
- South Lake Tahoe NYE events - MountainYahoos.com guide
- Mammoth Mountain: [NYE at Mammoth Mountain] (California): Full range of activities from free public concerts to VIP packages. If you wait till New Year's Eve day to buy tickets, they will be more expensive.
See the MountainYahoos.com
Mammoth Mountain resort review
for more information about Mammoth Mountain.
- Mammoth Village: Kid's Kickoff 7:30-9:30pm. Fireworks at 9:00pm
Fireworks and live music at the village
- For a full list of NYE events at Mammoth (53 Kitchen, Lakefront Restaurant at Tamarack Lodge, Campo, ...) see the Mammoth Mountain NYE events list.
- Canyon Lodge: this is the big adult party at Mammoth.
- Mountainside Bar and Grill: "East coast" celebration for a 9:00 pm NYE slope-side at the Mammoth Mountain Inn
The massive party at Mammoth Mountain's Canyon Lodge
- Big Bear Lakes CA: Snow Summit will lead the festivities with a torchlight parade around 7:00pm.
The various bars and restaurants will host NYE celebrations including Nottinghams (with live music) and Wyatt's Cafe and Saloon.
Bear Mountain will also be hosting a New Year's party (21 and older).
See the MountainYahoos.com San Bernardino Ski Resorts review (Bear Mountain, Snow Summit and Snow Valley) for more information on Big Bear Lake area resorts.
- Alyeska AK: Torchlight parade followed by fireworks.
Celebrations at Sitzmark with the ska band Nervis Rex.
See the MountainYahoos.com Alyeska Resort review for more information about Alyeska resort.
- Vail Colorado: Vail features an annual "Torchlight Ski-down" parade down "Golden Peak" at 6:15 pm, a street party, music and a New Year's Eve fireworks "Extravaganza".
Many of Vail's fine restaurants host parties as well.
Hang out at the sports bars for bowl games the next day.
See the MountainYahoos.com Vail Resort review for more information about Vail.
Vail's sister resort, Beaver Creek, will also host a New Year's celebration with an afternoon of carolers, ice sculptures and ice skating.
- Aspen / Snowmass CO: Make reservations early for the New Year's Gala at the Silvertree Hotel. Includes hors d'oeuvres, dinner buffet and dancing. Contact (970)923-8220
See the MountainYahoos.com Aspen Mountain and Aspen Highlands reviews for more information about Aspen resorts.
- Telluride CO: The action begins at 6:30 New Year's Eve with a children's torchlight parade down "Meadows Trail" down to the bottom of lift #1.
This is followed by fireworks (best viewed from the Mountain Village).
- Breckenridge CO: A dazzling, luminary, Torchlight Parade (6:00pm) from the top of "Peak 9" followed by fireworks, is in store at Breckenridge.
See the MountainYahoos.com Breckenridge Resort review for more information about Breckenridge.
- Beaver Creek CO:
Family NYE Celebration at the Park Hyatt (Gerald Ford Hall 7:00 to 10:30 pm). Ball drop and NYE celebration is at 10:00 pm.
The "illuminate the Night" event is from 5:00 to 8:00 pm with complementary sparklers.
See the MountainYahoos.com Beaver Creek ski resort review.
- Keystone CO:
New Year's Fireworks at Lakeside Village (9:00 pm). Live music, dancing and a full bar at the Adventure Center.
Prime rib buffet dinner at the Edgewater Cafe.
For more information about Keystone, visit our MountainYahoos.com Keystone ski resort review.
- Steamboat Springs Colorado: Torchlight Parade (5:30-6:00 pm) and Fireworks:
The Timber and Torch will be hosting this years party with an 80's themed party with live music, starting at 9:00 pm. Countdown and toast at midnight.
See T & T NYE party.
For more information about Steamboat, visit our MountainYahoos.com Steamboat Springs ski resort review.
Eastern US resorts listing New Year's Eve celebrations:
- Killington Vermont: Party at the Pickle Barrel or at my favorite the Wobbly Barn.
The Wobbly Barn - live entertainment.
See the MountainYahoos.com Killington Resort review for more information about Killington.
- Jay Peak (Vermont): Fireworks at 9:00pm Tram-side.
The party with live music is at the Foeger Ballroom.
Jay Peak NYE information
- Bristol Mountain (New York): Fireworks, night skiing and torchlight parade.
Bristol Mountain NYE
- Okemo (Vermont): For a full NYE package check out the Roundhouse at Jackson Gore Inn. For party reservations call (802) 228-1600
- Snowshoe Mountain Resort (West Virginia): Adult (at the Connection Nightclub), Teen (at the Big Top) and family NYE parties.
For party reservations call 877-441-4FUN
Also see Snowshoe Mountain resort NYE events.
- Stratton (Vermont):
See Stratton NYE Event - 6:00 pm - 2:00 am Snowshoe Hike to Mid-Mountain Lodge for an unique opportunity to view the fireworks. Hike ends with a campfire, hot cocoa and marshmallows for roasting. 8:30pm Torchlight Parade and fireworks in the Main Base Area.
For more information about Stratton, visit our MountainYahoos.com Stratton ski resort review.
- Sugar Mountain Resort (North Carolina) Fireworks, torchlight parade at 11:45 followed by fireworks at midnight. Reservations for indoor celebrations call 828-898-4521 x261
The adult party will be at Last Run Lounge while the party for all ages will be held in the third floor cafeteria.
See Sugar Mountain Resort NYE 2019 celebrations
- Sugarbush: Sugar Mountain New Years Eve Torchlight Parade and Fireworks at Lincoln Peak Village.
Fireworks and Torchlight parade at 7:00pm with a kids friendly torch parade will be held at 4:00 pm at the kids zone.
The adult dinner party with live music will be held at Rumble's Bistro and Bar (5:00 to 9:00 pm)
- Sugarloaf (Maine): Fireworks start at 9:00 pm. Adult party and live music at the Widowmaker. Kids celebration at the King Pine Room beginning at 7:00 pm.
See: Sugarloaf NYE
- Boyne Mountain (Michigan): Adult dinner party will be held at Stein Eriksen's restaurant (in the Clock Tower Lodge with seatings at 5:00 pm and at 8:15 pm.
Family buffet will be held at the Civic Center (5:00 to 9:00 pm). Alternatively, families can head to "Glow Night" at the waterpark (4:00 to 9:00 pm)
The Snowflake Lounge NYE Party is from 9:00 pm till 1:30 am and is complementary for those who attended the Stein Eriksen's dinner party.
Boyne Mountain New Years information
Best New Year's Eve Celebrations in Europe
- St. Moritz: This Swiss Alps resort is favored by the wealthy even for New Year's.
The biggest party in St. Moritz is the ball at the Badrutt's Palace and Chesa Veglia. Admission includes dinner and parties starting with champagne at 7:30pm and going till the "early morning hours".
See BadruttsPalace.com for more info.
- Chamonix France: There will be a 1920's "Prohibition Ends" themed dinner party for New Year's Eve 2019. Dinner starts at 6:00pm (party goes to 4:00 am) at Bighorn Bistro in Chamonix-Mont-Blanc South.
More info on the Prohibition Ends NYE.
The Chamonix town center overlooking the Place Balmat will be the most popular place to celebrate the New Year's countdown.
The Grand Hotel du Montenvers overlooking the Mer de Glace is hosting its annual New Year's dinner and celebration.
The Le Vert Hotel will be handing out bottles of Champagne to all guests and will be hosting a New Year's celebration.
- Courchevel France:
Courchevel is part of Les Trois Vallees in the French Alps, and the highest of the four villages in this ski region.
The outdoors dance party will be shaking to the beat starting at 10:30 pm.
Fireworks at midnight.
The DJ will take the stage after the fireworks show and will energize the mob from lull to frenzy until the morning hours (2:30 am).
Where? On the "Snow Front" in Courchevel in front of the La Croissette building.
How much? Free!
See Tania's Party in front of 1850.
For those seeking an indoor and more refined event, the hotels
Chabichou Hotel and Restaurant Courchevel and
Le Portetta Courchevel are all hosting celebratory events.
- Don't wait till New Years Eve to buy tickets. There is usually a discount if you buy early. Many events sell out and have limited capacity in which case it is essential to purchase tickets for New Years Eve events in advance.
- Few people get to the slopes early on New Year's day due to the hangover from the night before.
If you are likely to get a powder day on New Years day, you may get the mountain to yourself all morning. Plan accordingly.
- Dogs typically have sensitive hearing and can be traumatized by fireworks. If you bring your four legged furry friend to the mountain, try and shield them from the noise, keep them on leash or have the means to keep them from running off and comfort them to assure them that the world is not comming to an end. After the fireworks, reward them so that they know that they were not being punished.